Covid-19 the lobby of cochran cad will remain closed until further notice!


How We Work

"Who are appraisers? & Why are my property tax so high" Travis CAD 

FREQUENTLY asked questions



  1. My property information is wrong. How do I get it changed?
    Contact Cochran Central Appraisal District at (806)266-5584 or email us at Our office is located at 109 SE 1st St Morton, Texas.
  2. I don't want my information available on the internet. How do I get it deleted?
    The data that is being presented on this website is public record and available under laws governing the public's right to access public information. We cannot selectively remove or withhold this information. There are exceptions for certain individuals. If you have questions about whether or not you qualify to have certain property information confidential, please contact our office or refer to the Request for Confidentiality form on this website
  3. Where are the photographs and sketches?
    Effective as of Sept 1, 2005 the District Website will no longer display photographs and building sketches for all property. In accordance with Senate Bill 541, as passed by the Texas Legislature, information in appraisal records may not be posted on the Internet if the information is a photograph, sketch, or floor plan of an improvement to real property that is designed primarily for use as a human residence.
  4. How do I file comments, suggestions, and written complaints?
    The board will consider written complaints about the policies and procedures of the Cochran Central Appraisal District, the Appraisal Review Board, the Board of Directors, and any other matter within the Board's jurisdiction. The Board is without authority to consider complaints addressing any of the grounds for challenge, protest, or motion for correction of the appraisal roll before the Appraisal Review Board as set out in the Property Tax Code. 
  5. I don't want my information available on the web. How do I get it deleted?
    The data that is being presented on this website is public record and available under laws governing the public's right to access public information. We cannot selectively remove or withhold this information.
    Under Section 25.025, Tax Code defines who can have their information secured. If you feel you qualify for what is allowed by law. You can complete form 50-284 and return it to the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District. The web site for the application is

 Homestead, Over 65 and Disabled Exemptions

  1. What is a general homestead exemption?
    The general homestead exemption is provided by state law for owner-occupied residential properties. The exemption removes a portion of your value from taxation providing a lower tax amount for the homestead property
  2. How do I qualify for the general homestead exemption?
    In order to qualify for this exemption you must have owned and occupied the property as of January 1st of that tax year. This property must also be your principal residence and you may not claim another homestead on another piece of property.
  3. Do I need to reapply every year for my homestead
    No. You do not have to reapply unless the chief appraiser requests a new application or you move to a new residence.
  4. When and where do I apply for my homestead exemption?
    You may apply in person between January 1st and April 30th of the tax year at 109 SE 1st St. Morton, Texas. You may also return your application and other required documents by email to, fax to (806)266-5737 or mail to Cochran Central Appraisal District –109 SE 1st St. Morton, Texas 79346 You may file for a late homestead exemption up to two years after the date which the taxes become delinquent. There is never a fee to apply for any exemption. The form is also available on our website.
  5. Am I eligible for additional exemptions when I turn 65?
    If you are age 65 or older your residence homestead will qualify for additional exemption deductions and you will receive a tax ceiling for that home on your school taxes. Refer to the exemption table for exemptions and tax ceilings offered by each taxing unit. You qualify for the exemption in the year your turn 65. You do not have to be 65 on January 1. If we have your date of birth on file we will automatically grant the exempt the year that you qualify.
  6. I am a surviving spouse. Am I eligible for any exemption benefits?
    If a homeowner who has been receiving the tax ceiling on school taxes dies, the ceiling transfers to the surviving spouse, if the survivor is 55 or older and has ownership in the home. The survivor must apply to the appraisal district for the tax ceiling to transfer.
  7. I am a disabled veteran. Am I entitled to any property tax deductions?
    You may qualify for a property tax deduction if you are either (1) a veteran who was disabled while serving with the U.S. armed forces or (2) the surviving spouse or child (under 18 years of age or unmarried) of a disabled veteran. You must be a Texas resident and must provide documentation from the Veteran's Administration reflecting the percentage of your service-connected disability. Your disability rating must be at least 10%. The exemption amount varies depending on the disability level. This exemption is different from the 100% Disabled Veteran Exemption. Refer to the section on 100% disabled veteran exemptions for additional information.
  8. I am a homeowner with disabilities. Am I entitled to any exemptions?
    A person with a disability may get exemptions if (1) you can't engage in gainful work because of physical or mental disability or (2) you are 55 years old and blind and can't engage in your previous work because of your blindness. If you receive disability benefits under the Federal Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Program through the Social Security Administration you should qualify. Disability benefits from any other program do not automatically qualify. Refer to the exemption table taxing units that grant the disability exemption and/or tax ceiling.
  9. What information must I provide to obtain a homestead exemption.
    You must provide a copy of your driver's license or state identification card. The address must match the address of the property on the exemption application.
  10. Is there a fee to apply for an exemption?
    There is NEVER a fee to apply for any exemption.


  1. What is a Notice of Appraised Value?
    The Notice of Appraised Value gives information about your property such as legal description, situs, taxing units, current year proposed value and exemptions and prior year value and exemptions. Included with the notice are a protest form and other information about the appraisal process
  2. Who receives a Notice of Appraised Value?
    For 2019 appraisal notices will be mailed to ALL property owners.
  3. What should I do when I receive a Notice of Appraised Value?
    If you agree with the value on your property you do not have to do anything. If you do not agree with value you should file a formal protest. You should check and make sure any applicable exemptions are on the account. If the property is your residence homestead you are eligible to file an online protest. A protest form is included with the Notice of Appraised Value.
  4. What is the deadline to file my protest?
    You have 30 days from the date of the Notice of Appraised Value or May 15th, whichever is later.
  5. Can I resolve my questions informally?
    Appraisal district staff meets informally with property owners about values. You should always file your formal protest to preserve your right to protest to the ARB. Questions about exemptions, property description and taxing units can usually be resolved without a formal protest.
  6. What is the Appraisal Review Board?
    The Appraisal Review Board (ARB) is an independent, impartial group of citizens authorized to resolve disputes between taxpayers and the appraisal district. The ARB is appointed by the appraisal district board of directors but is not controlled by the appraisal district.
  7. What happens after I file a formal protest?
    At least 14 days prior to your hearing, the appraisal district will mail you information about the date and time of your hearing, a copy of the Appraisal Review Board procedures, and a copy of Property Taxpayer Remedies.
  8. What information should the appraisal district provide about my property?
    Upon request, you may inspect and obtain a copy of the data, schedules, formulas and any other information that will be used by the appraisal district at your hearing. This information is not required to be delivered 14 days before a hearing.
  9. What if I cannot make or miss my hearing?
    You will be allowed one reschedule if you contact the ARB one day prior to your hearing time. If you fail to appear, you may lose the right to be heard by the ARB. If you are not represented by an agent and you fail to appear at a hearing, you are entitled to a new hearing if you file with the ARB, not later than four days after your hearing date, a written statement showing good cause for failing to appear.
  10. What if I disagree with the Appraisal Review Board's decision?
    After your hearing the ARB will send a written order by certified mail stating the results of the hearing. This order will contain information about appealing the ARB decision.

 Business Personal Property Renditions

  1. Who must file a rendition report?
    A person who owns tangible personal property used for the production of income, or who manages or controls such property as an authorized agent, must file a report annually.
  2. Do I have to file a Rendition Form for my business?
    Yes. If you don't file, the account will be subject to a 10% penalty.
  3. When is the deadline to file a Rendition?
    Property Tax Code Sec. 22.23. The deadline to file a rendition in Cochran County is on or before April 1st. On written request by the property owner, the chief appraiser shall extend a deadline for filing a rendition statement or property report to May 1. The chief appraiser may further extend the deadline an additional 15 days for good cause shown in writing by the property owner.
  4. What types of property must be rendered?
    Any personal property that is used in a business or used to produce income must be rendered. This property includes furniture and fixtures, equipment, machinery, computers, inventory held for sale or rental, raw materials, finished goods, and work in process. You are not required to render intangible personal property (property that can be owned but does not have a physical form) such as cash, accounts receivable, goodwill, application computer software, and other similar items. If your organization has previously qualified for an exemption that applies to personal property, for example, a religious or charitable organization exemption, you are not required to render the exempt property.
  5. Is my information confidential?
    Yes. Information contained in a rendition cannot be disclosed to third parties except in very limited circumstances. In addition, the Texas Property Tax Code specifically provides that any estimate of value you provide is not admissible in proceedings other than a protest to the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) or court proceedings related to penalties for failure to render. The final value we place on your property is public information, but your rendition is not. The Legislature did not change the statutes governing confidentiality of rendition statements and supporting statements. SB 340 does not prohibit a chief appraiser from using the rendition and supporting statements as a part of the evidence presented in a protest before the Appraisal Review Board. In this case, it does become a part of the public record
  6. What if I received a rendition form but I do not own the business or closed the business or moved locations?
    If the business was sold, closed, or moved prior to January 1: If you did not own the business, state that you did not own that business for that year. State who you sold it to, the date you sold it, or the date the business closed and sign the form. If you moved to a different location, update the location of the business and complete the rendition form. If the business was sold, closed, or moved after January 1: The rendition must be filed and most importantly a good mailing address and phone number should be included on the rendition to refer to when reviewed by an appraiser.
  7. What is rendition for Business Personal Property?
    A rendition is simply a form that provides the following information for personal property that you own: Property owner's name and address Description of the property by type or category Description and quantity of each type of inventory Property's physical location or taxable situs Property owner's option of providing either a "good" faith estimate of market value or historical cost new and year of acquisition of individual items The appraisal district uses the information to help estimate the market value of your property for taxation purposes.